There questions will help in finding the data/information about the Target project such as functional/nonfunctional priorities, potential risks. These questions basically helps in finding the types of testing to be performed.
- Do you have any kind of special Non-Functional Requirement? (Performance, Security, Usability, Localization, Browser/OS Compatibility)
- What are the applications/Modules that you need to be tested?
- Do you have any interoperability requirements?
- What are the upstream/downstream processes and are they also in the scope?
- Is there any migration activity for which testing is to be performed / planned?
- Are experiencing any network connectivity issues?
- Do you have a need for the protecting the sensitive data from leakage?
- Do you have issues with expertise availability in Testing/Process/Technology area?
- What is the average experience of the developers engaged in the Project?
- What are your requirements with respect to the application availability and response time?
- What is the maximum permissible number of Defects (Critical/major) ini the application in production?
- Do you have any limitations with respect to the Network bandwidth?
- Do you have any budget constraints with respect to the Tools usage?
- Do you have any budget constraints with respect to Resources?
- Do you have any constraints while performing Remote Testing?
- What is the application size in terms of the number of the function points?
Dev Effort / Size:
- What is the effort that was put into the Development activities for the application?
- What was the size of the development team?
Current Project Status:
- At what stage is the current application with respect to SDLC /Maintenance?
- What is the status of the various test Artifacts and test base documents?
- Are the requirements in the form of Requirements Models or in the form of an RS documents?
- What is the current testing team size?
- What is the Team composition with respect to skills/experience?
- Do you have any plans for automation?
- What are the existing automation artifacts available? (Scripts, Design documents, Execution/ Coverage reports)
- Do you have any specific vendor preference for the automation?
- What is the current maturity level of Development Process (CMM/ISO Standards)
- What is the current maturity level of Testing Process (CMM/ISO Standards)
- Do you have any issues with respect to the Application Downtime/ Instability
- Are you experiencing any application Performance Issue?
- Are you experiencing any Compatibility issues across platforms / OS /Browsers?
- Do you have any concerns with respect to Security, Reliability, Usability ratings?
- What is the domain area in which the application operates?
- What is the Service line for the application within the domain? (Mission critical, Real Time app, Embedded systems, Internet app, client / Server app, Mainframe.)
- Do you have any challenges with respect to the Lack of Technology / Tool Expertise within your current team?
- Do you face issues with respect to thigh cost of Subject Matter Experts?
- Do you have any challenges with respect to the lack of expertise in testing/ Processes/ Methodologies?
- Do you face frequent Delays in deliverables from the development team?
- Do you have pressing needs for the Reducing Testing Lifecycles time?
- Do you have the need to go in for Frequent Change Requests?
- Is there lack of Clarity in the Requirements?
- Is the application having stability issues?
- Is your team facing Attrition problems?
- How many users does your system have?
- What is the experience level of the users?
- Where are the Users located? (Timezones)
- Are you facing problems supporting varying time zones? (With respect to the distributed applications, batch processes)
Platform – Hosting, Hardware/Software:
- Does the Test Environment simulate the production environment? If not, please provide the actual configuration of both the environments?
- What is the platform your application is hosted in? (Unix/Linux/Solaris/Windows/Others)?
- What is the Configuration of the servers?
- What is the network speed?
- What is the typical Desktop Configuration used?
- What is the Database size?
- What is the Application server used? (Weblogix, Websphare, Apache Web server, IIS)
- What is the database used? (Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server, DB2)
- What is the Technology Used? (java/J2EE, .NET, SAP, SOA)
- What is the Middleware used? (Tibco, MQ Series)
- Do you have any legacy Systems and are there any plans for the porting the same?
- What are the Development tools used? (Eclipse, Netbeans)
- What are the Testing tools used? (Open source, Licensed, name of the vendor)
- Who will be bearing the Licensing costs?
- Are there any regulation compliance specific requirements? E.g HIPPA, SOX
- Are there clustering, Load Balancing mechanisms in place?
- What is the current application maintenance cost with respect to the technical support and environment setup?