Reduce Investment planned for Testing by Tests Reusability
In software test life cycle (STLC), among various phases, test case development is most critical and consumes considerable portion of the time, allocated for testing. While working on various projects, my target was to write optimized number of effective test cases. During each product/project I tested, I used to feel that I have executed the similar tests in the earlier assignments. I am sure you might also have observed, that you are sometime writing the test cases, which you have already written for some other project/product.
Let me explain with an example of Login, whether you are in Finance, health care or CRM domain, test engineer has to write almost similar cases with few more addition or deletion. Also, as a Supervisor, you might have observed that on many occasions your team missed potential test cases; reason could be the time crunch, skill, experience ….. Usually Test case effectiveness is dependent on individual’s skills. Supervisor faces bigger challenges on estimating the count of test cases to be written as it will provide the basis for test execution time. Also they face challenge to ensure their team is not missing potential test cases as well as spending effort to write quality test cases instead of redundant and exhaustive test cases. I experienced that my various teams used to find many potential test cases during the test execution and add them to the test suite later.
How is the idea if a Team
- Can estimate testing efforts close to reality
- Saves investments by shortening the Testing life cycle
- Instead of investing efforts in writing test cases from scratch, choosing test cases from an organized test cases repository
- Can verify the completeness of their Tests by checking them against predefined set of cases
- Can shorten the Test cases Review cycle
- Ensure the completeness of Test suite
- deliver quality product by ensuring no missing test cases
Now, how to implement the Test reusability and ensure the completeness of test cases. I am writing on these topic too. Will publish them soon.